Council of WNY Inc.
P.O. Box 361
Buffalo, NY 14201
Welcome to the
Hispanic Heritage Cultural Institute page
Architectural Design Description
The proposed new center, a first in Upstate in New York, will be located at the corner of Niagara and Hudson Streets on Buffalo's west side, which will be Green Energy Efficient with solar panels and other energy savings, will encompass approximately 33,000 square feet on three floors. The primary architectural design objective is to create a friendly, modern, and sustainable facility with as Hispanic / Latino elegance. The conceptual exterior images depict a variety of natural materials such as stone and wood, accented with bold colors- reminiscent of the Caribbean. The facades also incorporate expansive sections of glass to deliver abundant natural light and encourage visual connections to the internal activities, promoting inclusivity for a diverse user group.
Interior spaces include a museum, art gallery, café, gift shop, performing arts theater, activities space, broadcast media center, learning labs and administrative spaces- spread over the first two floors. The third floor has been allocated for tenant leased space as means of generating revenue, to support economic sustainability. The entire facility is conceived to be inherently flexible, with multi-functional spaces, and the ability to adapt to future space needs and desired programming.
In accordance with the Unified Development Ordinance for the City of Buffalo (commonly referred to as the "Green Code") a civic building should be designed to stand apart from its surroundings due to the special nature of its use as a public facility. A civic building is often among the most prominently sited and architecturally significant in a neighborhood.
Here are recent articles and videos on the plan and our progress:
- State of the City 2.20.20 Announcement highlighting the Cultural Institute project by Mayor Bryon W. Brown
- City of Buffalo Pledges To Back Building of Hispanic Institute
- Hispanic Heritage Council Appoints Chairperson To Help Fundraise For A New Cultural Institute On The City's Westside
- Hispanic Heritage Cultural Institute Project Overview
- Hispanic Heritage Council of WNY Launches Fundraising Campaign
- Hispanic Heritage Council announces $10 million institute coming to Niagara Street
- $10 Million Cultural Institute coming to Buffalo's Hispanic Heritage District
- $10 Million Hispanic Heritage Cultural Institute goes to City Committee today
- Buffalo News Article from June 17th, 2019
- 2019 Overview Video June 22, 2019
- Hispanic Heritage Council Hosts 7th Annual Community Breakfast
We also have a PDF of the Site Plan available.